Monday, August 17, 2009

Broken Hearts Club

I titled this entry after a very random conversation I had with a waiter yesterday. I went to a restaurant with a good friend to cheer up, have some good conversation, and decide how I am going to rebuild my life after a crushing breakup that happened the day before. We were laughing, talking, and basically discovering that I will be totally fine when the waiter, who I had met through a friend months before asked me how I was doing after my friend went to the restroom.

I hate this question right now... Can I really force myself to say. "fine"? Really? And, if you know me, you KNOW I am the worst liar on the planet and whenever I feel something, I feel it all the way and it is written all over my face.

I went from laughing and feeling like my normal self, to someone who just realized that their life had just completely changed in a blink of an eye. My eyes welled up a bit and I said... "Honestly...not that great." He pulled up a chair and sat down. After talking for a few minutes I discovered he was dealing with the same EXACT thing I am dealing with right now and immediately my perspective on the world changed. I was not the only person piecing their life back together that Sunday.

The night before I was convinced that I was the saddest person on Earth. The only person dealing with any real pain. And the only person that ever really loved someone all the way. After talking with him and hearing the pain that he was dealing with and covering up just like I was, I took a look around the restaurant and thought about all of the people who have hurt and are still hurting. I am not the only one to ever lose something important to them. And, although it makes me sad to know of all the pain there is in the world, it made me realize that people all over are just MOVING ON and not becoming the thing that they are sad about.

Just as it's a choice to wake up and love someone everyday, it is also a choice to let yourself succumb to an emotion that will not benefit your life. With a combination of my own passion and confidence, the amazing support from friends and family I had had that day, and the unexpected "broken hearts club meeting" I had with my waiter, I left feeling so empowered, supported, and understood. Who knew some random waiter could change my entire perspective on my break up? and maybe even the way I look at people in general...

I am feeling much better.

No comments: