Sunday, December 14, 2008

Filing Boards = Arch Nemesis

I have to admit that I have a rather long list of neuroses but not being able to stand nail filing is by far the most intense. I have no idea why I am this way, but nail filing actually triggers my gag reflex and sends chills down my entire body. I can't even stand for other people to file their nails around me and, actually, I feel tense even talking about nail filing. By the way, I am completely aware that I sound like a crazy person right now... Well, despite my issues, I went to get my nails done yesterday for the third time in my life (the first for my 15th birthday and the second for my junior prom) for graduation tomorrow.

When I sat down, the "nail lady" whipped out the nail file and I hung my head as if I was being punished. I told my mom about my issue and told her to just keep talking to me so I wouldn't have to think about it. We talked about everything in US magazine from Miley Cyrus' annoyingness to Hugh Jackman's abs, but NOTHING could distract me from the torturous nail filing! I looked away the entire time but still felt completely nauseous and had to whisper an occasional "oh my gosh...oh my gosh" and giggle nervously to get through the process. The experience was only about 3 minutes, but it felt like DAYS! The lady getting her nails done next to me was laughing at me but she already knew I didn't do this often after I was asked what color I wanted for my manicure and I just said, "regular" -hahah! Apparently, FRENCH manicures are different than just a manicure, wow, I am such a nail novice...

Anyways, my nails look awesome now, so I guess it was worth it, but it will be a loooooooong time before I let anyone touch my toes! I really have no idea what happened in my life/childhood that causes me freak out any time there is any pressure or scraping on my nails, but I wish I did so I might be able to just get over it! It was really was fun being girly yesterday and even as I am typing this now I am thinking, "Damn, girl! You're nails look fiiiinnneee". So maybe I will learn to tolerate nail filing in the future, but, for now, I will remain an often unmanicured freak : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha ... as soon as you mentioned nail files, i cringed -- i think it's the grating noise and sensation. it's unnatural.

lay_to_the_ton said...

I am happy to hear I am not the only freak!