Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Never thought I'd have a bird funeral today...

Yes, you read it right... I just buried a bird in my backyard. Diana and I were just hanging out in my room when we heard a loud bump on my window. At first I thought there was someone trying to break in my window (a side effect of living in East Atlanta) but I pulled back the curtains to find a little bird with a broken leg sitting on the roof outside my window! It was so sad! He was breathing really fast and his leg was practically twisted backwards. I did not know what to do... and what does one do when they don't know what to do? I called my mom. My mom brought up the proverbial tree question... if I could not see it, would I care? It is pretty sad to say that I don't think I would become emotional at the mere mention of a dying bird, but I still didn't feel right leaving him to die slowly on my roof.

So, Diana looked up number for the Atlanta Wildlife Rescue and when I called, I was told to retrieve the bird, wrap him up in paper towels, put him in a box, and wait to see if his condition improved after he came out of shock. The women informed me that about 60% of the time birds hurt themselves running into windows, they recover on their own as long as they are in a safe and dark place. I was so happy to hear that they little guy could recover! So, I went to open my window and crawl out onto the roof only to see that the bird was no longer there! At first I thought "Oh my gosh! What a fast recovery!" but then I noticed the extreme slant on the roof that lead Diana and I to our next conclusion...

We ran downstairs and out into the backyard to find that our little friend had fallen to his death : ( Poor guy. We dug a grave and buried him under a tree in the backyard. This all sounds very silly to me as I am writing this, but I really did not feel right leaving him on the side of the drive way especially because a bee had already started eating his face or something. Well, today is a sad day for the animal kingdom... our neighbor, Frank, we'll call him, has passed away... now I just hope Josh doesn't dig him up and eat him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ugh. whenever i see a dead bird, i always feel like it's happening TO ME and for a reason. it's impossible not to internalize it. sorry i missed the memorial service :(

Anonymous said...

i miss Frank already