Monday, February 9, 2009

Those Egyptians Weren't Fooling Around.

Darius and I went to the King Tut Exhibit last weekend and it was amazing. Everything, no matter how large, was intricately detailed in a way that you knew that the creator took a lot of pride and care in what they were doing. And what really blew my mind was that all of the things we were looking at were over 3,000 years old... some of them 5,000 years old, and it made me think... what kinds of things will we leave behind?

Nowadays, nothing is made to last. We destroy buildings when they are no longer used, and cities are spending less and less money on public art. Will anything from this age survive? Will there be artifacts from the 2000's, or will the irreversible harm on the environment and a hole in the ozone layer be the only legacy we leave behind? A lot of the things we saw in the exhibit took hundreds of years to make. Now, we hardly wait longer that a few months for a new building. So if we don't make anything tangible to last, what does?

In the exhibit, there was a sign that explained that many kings believed that they could survive in the afterlife only as long as their name was repeated on Earth. I found that to be so similar to the way I feel about leaving a legacy behind after death. The only real legacy we can leave is our affect on people and how we made the world better for somebody else. What kind of life did we live if we didn't serve fellow human beings, or make a point to improve the state of humanity? If we don't, we really just live and die, leaving no reason for our names to mentioned and leaving no legend worth repeating.

I guess that's why all I've ever wanted is to make people feel good. I really enjoy making people feel comfortable, included, wanted, listened-to, and important. I guess I hope that I will leave a legacy of making people come together and just feel good. About themselves and about, well, anything! Everything! That's how I want to feel, anyways!

I have been going through a tough time lately evaluating my life and and trying to figure out what I want to do next, but my sister found a saying that has really helped me stay focused and happy for the good things in life...

"Don't wait for the storm to pass... learn to dance in the rain."

So, for now, I will try to learn to love this moment for what it is, and not wish for another to come along, because if I spend my life waiting for the next thing, I won't leave anything behind worth remembering.

No comments: